Re: [desktop] Unix configuration nightmare

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 06:00:48PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>> As I said, I am suggesting we mimick the conffile mechanism.
>> conffiles are not parsed, but their modification is noticed.  My
>> proposed system would not prevent the user from using the
>> menu-driven configuration; it would simple offer them a choice
>> about whether to generate a new configuration using the dialogs, or
>> to preserve their existing configuration.  This choice would only
>> be necessary if the file had been modified by hand.

> I think I would probably migrate the XFree86 packages to using this if
> you implemented it.

[...]
> It's just grody.  I get two kinds of complaints about the debconfization
> of the X server:

> 1) I didn't bother to read the top of the config file, or any
> documentation anywhere, my changes got clobbered, and I'm mad.

> 2) You don't support this obscure-ass option, and I think you should.

Time for a third opinion: I think your setup circumvents the problem
(parsing XF86Config) _very_ nicely with little overhead. It allows me
to customize any section I want while still letting debconf handle the
rest. Basically I just have to copy it and move it outside of the debconf
part.
               cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!