Re: [desktop] Unix configuration nightmare

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 09:02:56PM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 18:44, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > This is not by any means the only way.  One excellent option is to
> > mimick the conffile mechanism using debconf, so that the user is only
> > prompted if they have actually edited the configuration file.  If they
> > haven't, then their existing configuration is overwritten with the
> > updated one.  If they have, then they are prompted about the correct
> > action to take.
>
> Don't see what you mean here.
>
> If the user has not changed the config file --> we do whatever we like,
> yes.
>
> If the user *has* changed the config file, the config file will have to be
> parsed - after all, editing the configfile should not cause it to be just
> impossible to use the menu driven configuration.

As I said, I am suggesting we mimick the conffile mechanism.  conffiles are
not parsed, but their modification is noticed.  My proposed system would not
prevent the user from using the menu-driven configuration; it would simple
offer them a choice about whether to generate a new configuration using the
dialogs, or to preserve their existing configuration.  This choice would
only be necessary if the file had been modified by hand.

--
 - mdz