Re: [desktop] Unix configuration nightmare

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:26:48AM -0400, Susan Kleinmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:16:23PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > You can tell people to put their shit outside the debconf area, but they
> > won't.
>
> Here are two peripherally related suggestions that might help:
>
> 1.  There is at least one other package that has a do-not-configure-here
> component to its file: grub.  I wonder if it might be possible to find

There is another one: masqmail (mine). I used xfree86 as an example. The
main conf has these lines on top, copied from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
# Do not edit within this region if you want your changes to be
preserved by
# debconf.  Instead, make changes after the "### END DEBCONF SECTION"
line.

I have no idea how someone can miss those lines...

> some commonalities between the way grub tells users to keep their mits
> off of various sections, and the way the XF86Config file does it?  Just
> using the same words or the same case or the same placement in the file
> for the warning might be a start.  My point is that if there is a common
> set of characteristics in several programs that tell users to keep out,
> then a broader group of users might come to expect and know to look for
> "do-not-touch" sections.
>     It would also help users if the utilities that manipulated files
> that were only partially user-changeable had common names, or some
> other common features.
>
> 2.  It might be interesting to develop either colorized vim or emacs
> modes that were invoked when editing only-partially-editable files, such
> that the "hands-off" part appeared, say, in some distinct color.

That's an idea.

Greetings,
Oliver

--