Re: [donation] AlphaServer 1000A 5/400

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 07:47:20PM +0200, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> writes:
> > It is helpful if we had working user-enterable chroot directories
> > for potato and stable on Alpha.  I recently had to track down a
> > build error with a security update on potato.  lully currently only
> > provides the host system.  Hence, a second machine that would run
> > user chroot systems would at least help a little bit.
>
> Well, we have escher.debian.org, which is about as fast as a
> AlphaServer 1000A and with an uptime of 116 days seems to be quite
> stable, too. So I don't think we're in urgent need of another machine;
> having a woody chroot on it would be nice, though.

Well, I've asked some time ago on how to do this (I'm the owner of escher):

http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2002/debian-alpha-200208/msg00145.html

As the machine is idling most of the time I'd like to do one of the
following:

a) install one/more chroots on it so that anyone can use them

b) take it back to my home to work on debian-installer for Alpha. If
   there'd be a problem with Alpha again (like in the time faure and
   lully were dead) I could put it back into the net in a couple of
   days (I've got a car to transfer it to my university)

Personally, I don't know what is needed more right now, maybe you all
could help me decide :)

CU
    Thimo

P.S.: We had a powerdown today (broken coffee-machine...), so the
      uptime stopped at 117 days... and we won't have any coffee in
      the office for quite a while :-((

--
Thimo Neubauer <thimo@debian.org>
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 "woody" is finally released! CD-Images are