Re: Improper NMU (Re: NMU for libquota-perl)

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 01:25:34PM +0200, Peter Mathiasson wrote:
> Therefore the NMU. When you have finally understood the problem and
> solved it, either through incorporating the NMU or in your own way, you
> (the maintainer) can upload a new version.

How about we start from the simple issue of notifying maintainers and making
sure they are _aware_ of the exact problems? People can be reasonably alert
for fixing their packages without knowing what's that's going on in the
bigger scheme of things.

> Why get so upset about a, what I can tell from this discussion, working
> NMU.

Nobody's upset.

> Though, a BTS entry would have been good, it wouldn't have made the
> maintainer aware of the problem earlier (unless the NMU was delayed
> until the maintainer had a time to fix it himself, of course).

The whole point of mailing beforehand is to leave it up to the maintainer to
fix the bugs in their packages instead of wasting effort on doing NMUs.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.