Re: Menu system rewrite update (Aug 6 2002)

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:31:33 -0400
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> wrote:
> On Aug 08, David B Harris wrote:
> > Well, that's the entire idea of using a keyword-based approach,
> > right?(ie: populating the hierarchy differently for different target
> > audiences; for instance, two menu-methods may turn out not only
> > different file formats, but different hierarchy layouts)
>
> Actually, my thought was that menu-methods and hierarchies would be
> orthogonal; you could use a KDEish menu layout with Sawfish, or a
> really deep menu structure with fvwm, or a shallow GNOME2ish structure
> with Blackbox, or some bizarre structure as a menu within Emacs (an
> odd oversight in the current menu system, the lack of a menu-method
> for any of the Emacsen), or whatever.  The default would probably be
> an augmented (deeper) version of what we have now, but certainly
> people could fool with that to their hearts' content.

Hmm... That's something to think about, yeah.

I think I'm partial to the idea of doing it all in menu-methods, though.
But if that's the case, then there's got to be some easy way to hook it
into the WM/Desktop's UI, so people can choose a preference of some
sort.

I actually think more along the lines of exclusion :) For instance;
guess my biggest beef with the current menu system isn't the hierarchy
so much as the confusion about what to include, what to exclude, so on
and so forth. Still, the vfolder thing solves both problems :)

\ David B. Harris, Systems administrator   |   http://www.terrabox.com /
/  eelf@sympatico.ca, elf@terrabox.com     |     http://eelf.ddts.net  \
/ Clan Barclay motto: Aut agere, aut mori.  (Either action, or death.) \