Re: Menu system rewrite update (Aug 6 2002)

On 08 Aug 2002 10:28:21 +0100
Ross Burton <ross@burtonini.com> wrote:
> I know that GNOME2 uses /usr/share/applications, and I believe KDE3
> does too. The path is specified by the VFolder spec referenced by the
> policy.

Okay. It still pisses me off, though :)

> Here you perfectly describe the Categories field in detail :)
>
> I suggest you read the VFolder spec:
> https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2002-July/000569.html
>
> Which describes the Categories field and the usage.

My apologies. Really sorry.

Okay, after reading the spec, I'm glad to see they've tried to support a
more dynamic layout :) But they're still basically using a static
hierarchy; though the ordering of the "categories" may be changed,
they'll still remain the same.

Why? Because of the static list of keywords. We've seen before that
adding keywords to a standard like this is damned near impossible,
whether it be for political or technical reasons.

I think that for Debian's menu system, we should encourage a more
freeform approach. No, we don't want people adding stuff willy-nilly. We
_DO_ want to add stuff though, right? I mean, the categories listed
there are pretty limited, and they're also narrowly defined. There's no
"calculator" keyword, for instance. And while there's a "shell" keyword,
it's defined as a "console shell", something most people will think to
be a standard CLI.

Anyways. Dunno :) I've had my say, take it for what it's worth ;)

\ David B. Harris, Systems administrator   |   http://www.terrabox.com /
/  eelf@sympatico.ca, elf@terrabox.com     |     http://eelf.ddts.net  \
/ Clan Barclay motto: Aut agere, aut mori.  (Either action, or death.) \