Re: Menu system rewrite update (Aug 6 2002)

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 08:50, David B Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:37:45 -0500
> Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> wrote:
> > > * draft_policy.txt: a first-cut of a draft menu policy.
>
> I read this and I've got a few concerns.
>
> One, /usr/share/applications/. Can't /usr/share/menu/ or
> /usr/share/menu-files/ or /usr/share/debian-menu/ or _something_ like
> that be done? I tell ya, it really irritated me when I looked in
> /usr/share/apps and didn't find any apps. (This was ages ago when I was
> first learning about *nix in general)
> KDE uses /usr/share/applnk/; while somewhat obfuscated, at least there
> isn't an obvious namespace conflict.

I know that GNOME2 uses /usr/share/applications, and I believe KDE3 does
too. The path is specified by the VFolder spec referenced by the policy.

> The categorisations are gonna be a bitch too, no doubt. I think we've
> all learnt that static hierarchies just aren't feasible in the long run.
[snip]

Here you perfectly describe the Categories field in detail :)

I suggest you read the VFolder spec:
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2002-July/000569.html

Which describes the Categories field and the usage.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com
                                           jabber: ross@nerdfest.org