Re: [hertzog@debian.org: Re: Woody retrospective and Sarge introspective]

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 02:06:02PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 11:56:36AM +0100, Mark Brown écrivait:

> > You haven't addressed how dependancy handling is going to work with this
> > system yet.  You've also not really explained why this distribution is
> > going to be able to avoid getting packages with uncaught errors in them.

> You missed the latest change in my proposition.

> * thus uploads for testing have to be done in t-p-u and there's
>   no automatic promotion from unstable to testing.

> * recompile in t-p-u are done with testing (that's already the case),
>   ensuring that we have good dependencies most of the time

So after testing with the versions in unstable for a while package gets
built and reuploaded against a potentially completely different set of
packages?  That seems more than a little suboptimal since it reduces the
benefits of the testing that has been done.  It also does nothing to
address problems with undeclared dependencies breaking testing.

Plus, either source only uploads will have to be supported or people
will have to have give themselves a testing environment to do things in
(or use a debian.org machine, which also adds complexity and makes it
even less likely that the new package will be tested).