Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 20:45, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
>
> > Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> writes:

> > > Then what's the point of this whole discussion?
> >
> > To provide and support that option for people that don't want
> > /etc/mtab requiring / to be RW.
> >
> touch /var/mtab; ln -s /var/mtab /etc/mtab

/var is not present at boot so once /var is later mounted the mtab
doesn't reflect the current system anymore. You don't have that
problem since /proc/mounts (apart from mentioned problems) reflects
the current system.

> Nowhere does it say that / should be mountable readonly, /usr, yes, but
> not /var.  I imagine many more things would be broken by doing this than
> you'd initially expect.

Works fine. Quite a few people are doing it. Someone even presented
apt-get config files that would remount / and /usr RW before upgrading
and remount them RO after on debian-devel.

Its the easiest way to prevent any filesystem corruption to your
critical filesystems.

MfG
        Goswin