Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:56:00AM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> If you do that then you don't have an entry in the mtab file for the /var
> file system, or for any filesystem that has a preceeding entry in the
> /etc/fstab file.

Like /   (root)!

> If the mtab file is to be maintained as a regular file then it MUST be on the
> root file system, which means /etc.

At the risk of getting flammed, and having people yell acronyms
like FHS and SE-Linux at me, I will suggest:

/mtab

Actually, I don't like mtab, and never have. For instance it gets badly
confused if you mount a partition within a chroot...

(not to mention the other proplem of making /etc a readonly NFS
share).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>