Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:56:00AM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > If you do that then you don't have an entry in the mtab file for the /var
> > file system, or for any filesystem that has a preceeding entry in the
> > /etc/fstab file.
>
> Like /   (root)!
>
> > If the mtab file is to be maintained as a regular file then it MUST be on the
> > root file system, which means /etc.
>
> At the risk of getting flammed, and having people yell acronyms
> like FHS and SE-Linux at me, I will suggest:
>
> /mtab
>
> Actually, I don't like mtab, and never have. For instance it gets badly
> confused if you mount a partition within a chroot...
>
> (not to mention the other proplem of making /etc a readonly NFS
> share).

Can someone summarise the reasons against

ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab

for me please? Only Problem I know for that solution are loopback
filesystems and that could be worked out.

mount already behaves correctly with that link, it just has no place to
store that is has to free the loopback device upon umount yet.

Wouldn't that satisfy everyone?

MfG
        Goswin

PS: debconf could ask the user which way he wants it or the boot
scripts could probe the kernel so both ways keep working.