Re: SuSE, Caldera, Connectiva and TurboLinux to do a new distribution togerther?

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 05:53:06PM +0200, Jan-Hendrik Palic wrote:
> I said, one moment please, typed "apt-get install konqueror|, and voila,
> there it is. My team-leader could not believe it.
> His question was, after testing the konqueror, whether it is possible to
> deinstall all the kde stuff, and I said yes, typed "apt-get --purge
> remove .*kde.*", and all KDE packages were removed. He could not believe
> it, too.
> His comment was, this is as easy as this could be done by a child.
> I think, he is right with that.

But this is exactly the problem.  People like your team-leader will walk
away thinking "apt-get makes installing & removing packages easy" whereas in
fact, it would not be easy at all if it were not for the quality built into
all Debian packages.  What would a child do if she tried to install or
remove a badly broken package with apt-get?  Not so easy, hm?

> The live with linux in generall could be so easy, if there will be
> similar tools like apt-get or every distri would provide apt-get.

I disagree.  This is all window dressing.  Living with Linux would be
much easier if the applications themselves and/or their packaging weren't
such crap.

> And, if the quality of the packages in a Linux distribution is like the
> quality of an debian-stable, many problem with updating/installing
> packages would be go away.

This really is the meat of it.  Having apt-get is just icing.

Ben