Re: SuSE, Caldera, Connectiva and TurboLinux to do a new distribution togerther?

Hi ..

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 08:03:47PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
>> which states that Calerda, Connectiva, SuSE and TurboLinux will
>> cooperate in making a new linux distribution together...
>> I wonder why they don't use Debian ;)
>I wouldn't be surprised if they would come with Debian as their
>base... Conectiva seems to want to be closer to Debian these
>days... they have done apt-rpm, are following some of the Debian
>policies, using task-* packages, modifying their init system...

In my opinion should every Linux distribution use apt-get or a port of
it for their package system. There is nothing as easy as installing
packages by apt-get or searchin with apt-cache.

I saw the apt-get port for RPM for RedHat from Connectiva. I was sitting
on a RedHat, and for the first look, it felt like a debian.... but only
for the first look.

But hey, it is a beginning. But there are something, what should be
solved. RPM!=RPM, so I don't know, what about using apt-get with
SuSE/Mandrake ...  :)

	Regards
		Jan
--
  .''`.    Jan-Hendrik Palic     |
 : :' : ** Debian GNU/ Linux **  |   ** OpenOffice.org **         ,.. ,..