Re: SuSE, Caldera, Connectiva and TurboLinux to do a new distribution togerther?

Hi Colin ....

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 08:04:43PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>> I saw the apt-get port for RPM for RedHat from Connectiva. I was sitting
>> on a RedHat, and for the first look, it felt like a debian.... but only
>> for the first look.
>That's becuase while apt is a very cool piece of software, it isn't
>magical.  Having apt-get on your system doesn't automatically bring with
>it hundreds of active Debian developers who care about the software
>they're packaging.

Of course, your are right. apt-get cannot install broken packages, for
example. When a package maintainer does not do her/his work, you are on
your own and apt-get is not a big help :)
But that is not apt-get's foult .. :)

>In other words, it's the Debian developers who really make Debian
>packages so easy to install, and keep Debian at such a high level of
>quality, not apt-get.

Right! I fully agree. But, apt-get makes live easier, I think. If the
packages are all OK, it makes fun to maintain your system with apt-get.
On my work, my team-leader asks for an installed konqueror.

I said, one moment please, typed "apt-get install konqueror|, and voila,
there it is. My team-leader could not believe it.
His question was, after testing the konqueror, whether it is possible to
deinstall all the kde stuff, and I said yes, typed "apt-get --purge
remove .*kde.*", and all KDE packages were removed. He could not believe
it, too.
His comment was, this is as easy as this could be done by a child.
I think, he is right with that.

The live with linux in generall could be so easy, if there will be
similar tools like apt-get or every distri would provide apt-get.

And, if the quality of the packages in a Linux distribution is like the
quality of an debian-stable, many problem with updating/installing
packages would be go away.

		Regards

			Jan
--
  .''`.    Jan-Hendrik Palic     |
 : :' : ** Debian GNU/ Linux **  |   ** OpenOffice.org **         ,.. ,..