Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 12:22:11PM +0200, Fabian Sturm wrote:
> So please dont think that sysadmins should have any right to forbid
> something to the users who actually use the machines.
> In my eyes is this one of the biggest grievence which exist nowadays.
> E.g. not to have the possibility to set up a crypto filesystem
> on your own in Linux..

I presume by that you mean Linux is incapable of this; if so, you're
misled. Here's an implementation of it:

Package: cfs
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 496
Maintainer: Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.4.1-8
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), nfs-kernel-server | nfs-user-server
Filename: pool/main/c/cfs/cfs_1.4.1-8_i386.deb
Size: 178920
MD5sum: c21a8b38a2be3602646e3eb1f71565b6
 CFS pushes encryption services into the Unix(tm) file system. It
 supports secure storage at the system level through a standard
 Unix file system interface to encrypted files. Users associate a
 cryptographic key with the directories they wish to protect.
 Files in these directories (as well as their pathname components)
 are transparently encrypted and decrypted with the specified key
 without further user intervention.
 .
 CFS employs a novel combination of DES stream and codebook cipher
 modes to provide high security with good performance on a modern
 workstation. CFS can use any available file system for its
 underlying storage without modification, including remote file
 servers such as NFS.

As a system running on a turing-complete machine, which allows
arbitrary code to be inserted on the fly, there isn't really anything
linux can't do... there's a decent chance of it actually being
implemented and working as well (unlike some other systems I could
name but won't).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK