Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Sat, 2002-05-25 at 05:22, Fabian Sturm wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 05:32:10PM +0200, Tobin Fricke wrote:
> >
> > I think your idea that a GNU System shouldn't allow the sysadmin to limit
> > the freedoms of the users is pretty ridiculous.  After all, it's the
> > sysadmin who owns the machine, pays for the network connection, is
> > responsible for network traffic originating at the machine, etc...
> > Certainly if a sysadmin WANTED to give users free reign of the machine,
> > that's fine... but they're certainly under no obligation to do so.
>
> I really get mad when I hear that the sysadmin owns the machine and pays
> for its used resources. Whenever I worked somewhere and I had a sysadmin
> it was the sysadmin who got payed by me and wouldnt be there if
> we wouldnt work with the computers and need them.
> And I lost so much time (which means money) just because the sysadmin
> thought I wouldnt need this or that feature or similar.
>
> So please dont think that sysadmins should have any right to forbid
> something to the users who actually use the machines.
> In my eyes is this one of the biggest grievence which exist nowadays.
> E.g. not to have the possibility to set up a crypto filesystem
> on your own in Linux..

All true.

I think the intended point, however, was that it's not the OS
developer's job to make those decisions; they should provide the tools
to allow the users/sysadmin/owner/whoever to make it.  If the users,
sysadmin, and owner of a box all agree that something is a good thing to
do, it's not the OS developer's job to contradict them.  (Unless, of
course, the feature isn't available yet.)