Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 06:27:10PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
>
> > * I have already posted the portion of the FHS that requires that no
> >   top-level directories not listed in it be included in a distibution.
>
> Yes, this is correct.  There is a divergent interpretation of the FHS
> that Jeroen was relying on, but I think that's nuts.

Sorry to spoil the party guys, I think there is a good reason for confusion
here.

The Debian policy package contains version 2.1, which has the following
text.  The ellipse [...] does not contain any structural element like
heading, subheadings or BEGIN RATIONALE/END RATIONALE notes:

==== BEGIN QUOTE FHS 2.1 ==================================================
       3.  The Root Directory

       This section describes the root directory structure.

[...]

       Software should never create or require special files or subdirectories
       in the root directory.  Other locations in the FHS hierarchy provide
       more than enough flexibility for any package.

       BEGIN RATIONALE
[...]
       END RATIONALE
==== END QUOTE FHS 2.1 ====================================================

This has _changed_ in FHS 2.2.

==== BEGIN QUOTE FHS 2.2 ==================================================

       3.  The Root Filesystem

       3.1  Purpose
[...]

       BEGIN RATIONALE
       Software must never create or require special files or subdirectories in
       the root directory.  Other locations in the FHS hierarchy provide more
       than enough flexibility for any package.

[... more about why prohibited...]
       END RATIONALE

So, this text has moved from a part of the standard to a part of the
rationale from 2.1 to 2.2.

Can anybody come up with something in 2.2 that forbids new top level
directories in compliant systems?

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de