Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

* Colin Watson writes:
> Looking at version 2.2 at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/, section 3.1, it
> explicitly says that "software must never create or require special
> files or subdirectories in the root directory", over and above those
> specified in the standard. As a result, my reading suggests that
> distributions including such software aren't compliant with the current
> version of the FHS. Which part are you looking at?

I think the key word here is "software", the FHS is a bit vague about
this, does it mean third-party software?  Which is what I think Jeroen
is reading it as.  In that case there would not be an violation against
the FHS.

The FHS only requires what directories have to be in /.  Not what
directories one might add for the whole system to use.

To quote section 3.2:
The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, are
required in /.

<list of required directories>

And if this is not the case, i.e. that software here means the whole
system. Then Debian does not follow those rules by having /cdrom and
/floppy and by not having /opt AFAIK. :)

Cheers,
--
Alfred M. Szmidt