Re: Virus Checking - COMPLETELY UNENCUMBERED!

At Tue, 14 May 2002 02:31:11 -0700,
Joseph Carter wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 07:56:00AM +1200, Matthew Grant wrote:
> > Does ScannerDaemon (that GPLed java daemon) detect all the Klez worms
> > reliably?  Or does its database need updating?  If clam AV is not
> > algorithmically at fault, then it means we can go ahead and package it.
>
> Frankly, it would be good if someone would add to the useful procmail
> recipes a filter to remove any executable attachments from an email
> outright or mark them as spam or delete them or something.  NOBODY should
> be emailing an executable.  A zip maybe, an image okay.  An executable,
> particularly a win32 executable is almost guaranteed to be a virus.

I have been using this GPL'd procmail recipe scanner for the past 6
months on our primary college email server with tremendous success:
http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html . Sounds like
its exactly what you'd like and more, just needs packaged.

David