Re: Virus Checking - COMPLETELY UNENCUMBERED!

On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 21:16, Matthew Grant wrote:
> Just working up an MTA virus checking stack using GPLed code (apart from
> decompression progs)
> Based on clamav, amavis-perl-11 and nomarch, lha, unip, zoo, gunzip,
> etc.

Hello,

There was aleady an ITP by Magnus Ekdahl <maguno@ludd.luth.se>, bug
#146283, so watch out that you don't reinvent the wheel. You might want
to contact him (if you haven't already).

> Clam av usses the Openantivirus.org virus database, and its GPLed and
> written in C! Check out freshmeat to get the tarball.

If it is better then scannerdaemon (and it sounds like it), then I will
orphan scannerdaemon when new packages that support this can be uploaded
to unstable.

> nomarch is an .ARC file decompressor, GPLed.  LZW decompression is in
> gzip, so this thing is unencumbered!
>
> I believe that we are home free!

Cool.

> Just go to hack AMaVis to support nomarch (should be simple), test it
> and then get it all packaged.  Can you help me with getting AMaVis
> packages done for postfix and sendmail?

AMaVis in Debian already supports both postfix and sendmail (I seem to
remember it did get into unstable), it doesn't support clam (should be
easy to do I think. It is in contrib, but the code is GPL, so it should
be possible to move it.

Any chance you could please send me the patch (via private email) to
allow AMaVis to use clam?

Thanks.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>