Re: draft release announcement

* Thomas Bushnell, BSG (tb@becket.net) wrote :
> Thom May <thom@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Release announcements are advertising. They need to be:
> > informative, easy for the average person to read and comprehend, and easy
> > for people to espouse and popularise.
>
> Um, so I'm proposing having more information.  Indeed, one of the most
more information != more informative.
> important things we have to advertise is our politics and our ethics!

For a lot of users, politics is a distant second to our
_technical_ achievements, which is what a release announcement needs to
(and does, it's excellently written) highlight.
If we don't attract users to our Debian GNU/Linux, then they go to Red Hat
and whoever else who explicitly _don't_ call their system GNU/Linux.
-Thom
--
Thom May -> thom@debian.org

"I do fireworks... It's the joy of building a system with your own hands over
days or weeks, and then watching it explode in a beautiful fireball in a
matter of seconds... But I suppose you couldn't relate"
"Actually I can. I'm a computer programmer"