Re: draft release announcement

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 11:49:29PM +0100, Thom May wrote:
> * Thomas Bushnell, BSG (tb@becket.net) wrote :
> > Thom May <thom@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > Release announcements are advertising. They need to be:
> > > informative, easy for the average person to read and comprehend, and easy
> > > for people to espouse and popularise.
> >
> > Um, so I'm proposing having more information.  Indeed, one of the most
> more information != more informative.
> > important things we have to advertise is our politics and our ethics!
>
> For a lot of users, politics is a distant second to our
> _technical_ achievements, which is what a release announcement needs to
> (and does, it's excellently written) highlight.
> If we don't attract users to our Debian GNU/Linux, then they go to Red Hat
> and whoever else who explicitly _don't_ call their system GNU/Linux.

Debian calls it GNU/Linux. I don't see why somebody would use another
distribution just because of that. The fact that they aren't used to
the term is just one more reason to explicitly call it
GNU/Linux. People know Linux, I don't think they get confused. They
might wonder what GNU is however and they might end up at the GNU
website reading about software freedom. I don't see anything bad with
that.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org