Re: Recommending non-free software

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 05:07:03PM +0200, Stefan Schwandter wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > Simply because gtk+ support is newer and still not finished.
> > Then the solution is to improve it.
> I am still hoping that gtk support will improve, but at the moment, it
> doesn't seem that upstream wants to spend much time on it. Maybe he will
> some time in the future, but not now.

Making everyone use the motif version is certainly not going to help to
spur motivation to fix the Gtk+ version.

> Well, but the author wrote the program, and he used the openmotif
> library, and he says that his program works best with it. He provides an
> alternative that doesn't work as good. Shouldn't our users be told
> what's supposed to work better, namely the motif version?

I don't see any logic in this, sorry.  If he wrote a version that works
on Windows as well, and even better there, should we tell people to use
the Windows version?

> > You gave him the wrong alternative.  If he abandons the Gtk support, and snd
> > is worth to be used on a free software system at all, other people will pick
> > it up and fork development.
>
> It's good to think in long terms, too, but at the moment I think about
> _now_. Now I think it wold be good to let users know the status quo of
> the gtk version in the description of the package.
>
> The upstream README.Snd does state that the motif version's better
> anyway.

Yes, isn't that enough to make you (pl.) happy?  I mean, it's not as if
the Gtk+ version is unusable.  The differences, from what I read in the
README, are minor and mostly aesthetic.

Thanks,
Marcus