Re: Recommending non-free software

Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> > I know that debian prefers free software, but the interests of our users
> > have even more priority, so I think it would be right to add such a
> > note.

> The interests of our users do not have *more* priority, as if they
> were ranked.

But if both conflict, you have to decide for one. And I thought that
the order in which they are called implies a ranking.

> Perhaps if you could say *why* upstream believes this to be the
> case...then you might get better advice.

Simply because gtk+ support is newer and still not finished.

>From the README:

Gtk+ is not as sophisticated as Motif, and the port is still somewhat
new, so there are a number of differences and rough-edges in that
version of Snd.  The primary differences are 1) Gtk+ paned-window widget
only accepts two panes.  This means that simple boxes are used
throughout rather than panes. 2) Gtk+ colors are a bottomless pit;
colors may or may not work right.  3) Gtk+ file selection dialog's
filter is restricted to a simple string using "*" -- the just-sounds
button of Motif, and the associated sound file extension list are
omitted.

When I asked him the last time if gtk+ 2.0 support is already better
then gtk+ 1.2 one, he said no - and that he's thinking about removing
gtk-support from snd altogether, because gtk is such a mess...

And after telling him that for snd this would mean to be removed from
the main distribution, he said that he would prefer no snd to gtk+ snd.

regards, Stefan

--
Wanna listen to my music? <------
----> http://www.shockfrosted.org