Re: Supermount

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 05:12:26PM -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 16:54, David Odin wrote:
> >   Well, the main problem I have with supermount and not have with
> > automount is the following:
> >   I'm a CS teacher, and the linux distribution in the computer room is
> > mandrake. And, very often, a student use supermount to mount a floppy,
> > do some stuff, but manage to log off with the floppy still mounted.
> > Then, the next student using the same computer cannot use the floppy,
> > since it is still mounted. Only root can unmount then, and that's very
> > boring.
> Why is the floppy being mounted/unmounted at all?

  This is the point: the floppy is mounted by supermount, and never

> If you hav supermount, the point is quite simply that you do not have to
> mount/unmount once the device is mounted; you are mounting the device
> itself, not the medium.
> If you don't want supermount in Mandrake, just remove the supermount
> settings from /etc/fstab, unload the kernel module, and no student
> should be able to mount w/ supermount anymore.
  I don't have a Mandrake at home, thanks.
  In the computer classroom, I have the root passwd (I'm a teacher, not
the admin), so i cannot edit /etc/fstab or whatever, and anyway, most of
my student are unable to mount anything "by hand". Imho, the way to go
is to use automount there.