Re: Supermount

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 11:27:15PM +0200, David Odin wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 05:12:26PM -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 16:54, David Odin wrote:
> > >   Well, the main problem I have with supermount and not have with
> > > automount is the following:
> > >   I'm a CS teacher, and the linux distribution in the computer room is
> > > mandrake. And, very often, a student use supermount to mount a floppy,
> > > do some stuff, but manage to log off with the floppy still mounted.
> > > Then, the next student using the same computer cannot use the floppy,
> > > since it is still mounted. Only root can unmount then, and that's very
> > > boring.
> >
> > Why is the floppy being mounted/unmounted at all?
>
>   This is the point: the floppy is mounted by supermount, and never
>   unmounted!

My point - it doesnt *need* to be unmounted with supermount.  It's not
ever supposed to be unmounted.  The device is mounted, not the medium.

> > If you hav supermount, the point is quite simply that you do not have to
> > mount/unmount once the device is mounted; you are mounting the device
> > itself, not the medium.
> >
> > If you don't want supermount in Mandrake, just remove the supermount
> > settings from /etc/fstab, unload the kernel module, and no student
> > should be able to mount w/ supermount anymore.
> >
>   I don't have a Mandrake at home, thanks.
>   In the computer classroom, I have the root passwd (I'm a teacher, not
> the admin), so i cannot edit /etc/fstab or whatever, and anyway, most of
> my student are unable to mount anything "by hand". Imho, the way to go
> is to use automount there.

Alright... well, then the students should put in a floppy, use it, eject
it, put in another floppy, and repeat.

The floppy should be mounted at boot time, by root, and never ever
unmounted until the system is shutdown.  That is what supermount does.
Removes the need to mount/umount by users.