Re: Splitting Packages [was Re: ITP: mencal -- A menstruation calendar]

Jeroen Dekkers wrote:

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 05:57:01PM +0100, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

Well, I'm not sure what the best approach is. I think we should just
generate a lot of different Package files based on the control fields
of the package. For example I was thinking about adding a license
field to it, then you can have license/dfsg-free, license/fsf-free,
license/gpl, license/fdl, license/bsd, license/x11 etc.
Yes exacty but the most difficult part is to define which
tag to use. For instance I would never use the license
mainly because I don't remember every license for every pkg
but I rather use the target of the pkg (net/admin/etc.)

2) give the end user a higher flexibility in selecting pkgs
(EX: why do I need to have gnome-audio if Im installing a dns server?? maybe on
  an old i386??? ;) )

I think this is one of the important reasons.

proud to have a m68k and a ss2 still up and running debian ;)

Fabio