Re: Package splitting and upgrades

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 12:21:37PM -0600, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> If I sound slightly bitter, yes I am. This is probably caused by the
> fact that I see people reimplementing parts of Feta in an inferior
> manner[3], because I tried to avoid tooting my own horn and letting the
> word spread by itself after an initial announcement[2].

In my experience, announcements don't go very far on -devel.  People are
set in their ways and have a lot of inertia for the ways they already do
things.

It helps to do a little self-pimping from time to time.  E.g., I
announced PGI twice, essentially.  The first time was basically an ITP,
and included the package description.  This didn't get any replies,
IIRC.  The second time I put a bit more wind behind it, and inlined the
Features section from the manual (which reads like advertising copy,
albeit with actual technical content), and that got people's antennae
up.  And, thankfully, no one flamed me.

Debian-devel-announce doesn't get a lot of traffic; should we consider
encouraging people to announce new Debian-specific tools (like installer
enhancements, new packaging frontends, stuff like debconf and debhelper,
etc.) on that list?  (I do *not* think garden-variety ITP's should be
posted there.)

It might help the visibility of some of these projects.  I've heard
people complain more than once that dpkg-reconfigure is a great thing,
but that they wonder how anyone is supposed to know about it.

Comments?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     When I die I want to go peacefully
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     in my sleep like my ol' Grand