Re: 75dpi, 100dpi, misc -- which one?

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 07:55:42PM +0100, Milan Zamazal wrote:
> [Since I've received no answer on debian-x@, I'm trying a wider forum.]

Sorry, I must have overlooked it.

> In the `intlfonts' package I maintain, there is a lot of fonts, without
> being classified by their dpi.  So I'd like to know how can I find out
> the resolution of an X11 font?
>
> I guess the resolution is defined by the SIZE parameter in the BDF file.
> Is it right?

Yes, for BDF fonts, I believe that is correct.  Specifically, the second
and third values are the horizontal and vertical dpi values.

> If so, then I have another question.  There is a lot of
> various numbers there, including 72, 75, 80, 100, and 150.  Where should
> the fonts with the resolution different of 75 and 100 go to?  (`misc' is
> defined as the place for "character-cell fonts, cursor fonts, and other
> low-resolution fonts" by Debian Policy, so it doesn't look to me like
> the right place generally.)

Well, I think this package would be the first that had high-resolution
BDFs that used a size other than 75 or 100dpi, so as the author of that
piece of policy I'd say it's perfectly fair for you to put those fonts
in the -misc package.

Are all the fonts represented at each of these 5 different resolutions,
or is this more a mixed bag of fonts, some at 75, some at 80, some at
100, and so forth?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Convictions are more dangerous
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       enemies of truth than lies.