Re: Package splitting and upgrades

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:29:07AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > Further note that people using apt-get do not care about complex
> > > package interrelations and are willing to fix things by hand, tracking
> > > down individual packages that they need and installing them. (That is
> > > what it means to use the back-end tools manually). Ditto for dpkg
> > > -iGROEB users.
> >
> > Actually, we have so far recommended _everyone_ to use apt-get dist-upgrade
> > for cross-release upgrades, not just the advanced users, i.e. those who
> > don't mind getting their hands dirty. (Note that I was the release notes
> > maintainer for slink->potato.)
>
> We did so in error. It is time to write that down in the release notes.
> "apt-get" is NOT to be used like this, and its maintainer has told us so a
> number of times (and refused to change the tool so that it could deal with
> recommends and suggests sanely, because that is not in the charter for
> apt-get).

Fact remains, there are dist-upgrade and upgrade commands, they're the best
we had. If you thought differently, why didn't you speak up two years ago?

We chose the best options of those available, that was not an error.

> > You get shit for recommending apt-get, and you get shit for recommending
> > dselect...
>
> apt-get simply will not cut it BY DESIGN. I dislike this (I wish it would, I
> like command-line tools), but such is life.

And there's oodles of people who will say that dselect will not cut it by
design, either.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.