Re: Package splitting and upgrades

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:08:02AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> Further note that people using apt-get do not care about complex
> package interrelations and are willing to fix things by hand, tracking
> down individual packages that they need and installing them. (That is
> what it means to use the back-end tools manually). Ditto for dpkg
> -iGROEB users.

Actually, we have so far recommended _everyone_ to use apt-get dist-upgrade
for cross-release upgrades, not just the advanced users, i.e. those who
don't mind getting their hands dirty. (Note that I was the release notes
maintainer for slink->potato.)

You get shit for recommending apt-get, and you get shit for recommending
dselect...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.