Re: The new installer

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 09:47:39AM -0500, Brian Mays wrote:
> > There are many things about the BTS which aren't a matter of
> > technical implementation, but of usage policy. Unfortunately the BTS
> > documentation is lacking/lagging in this aspect. I've had to edit
> > that file (and others) on several occasions to clarify the BCPs; and,
> > there's still work to do.
> >
> > I think we shouldn't take anything about the BTS usage policies as a
> > given based on documentation written in different circumstances. And,
> > I should mention, written by a coder :)
>
> But where does that get us?  There should be some sort of policy for
> usage.  Otherwise, everyone makes up his own policy and nobody can agree
> on how things are done.

Well, the de facto policy is known among developers, and like I said, work
is being done to write it down.

> In any case, bug reports are supposed to be closed when someone takes
> responsibility for having fixed the bug, correct?

Yes, unless it's a NMU, in which case they should only be tagged as "fixed",
but not closed. I'm not proposing any change in this (not yet at least :)

> The process is independent of whether the package has made it into the
> archive yet.

No, actually, it has to be in the master archive to be closed. Closing bugs
as soon as the developer fixes it in their local copy or uploads it to an
upload queue or the incoming directory is not supposed to be done.

This detail is documented in the developers' reference, section 10.4
"When bugs are closed by new uploads".

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.