Re: The new installer

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 02:31:43PM -0500, Brian Mays wrote:
> > > a user might see a closed bug report but could not be unable to
> > > download the fixing package with the usual methods (dselect, apt,
> > > etc..).
>
> Who cares?  Closing a bug report does not mean that the fix is
> immediately available to all the world; it means that someone (usually
> the maintainer) has taken responsibility for the bug.  (This is the same
> reason, I assume, that bugs fixed by a NMU are tagged as "fixed" instead
> of having their reports closed.  Again, availability of a fixed package
> is not the issue.) When the maintainer uploads a new package that
> claims to fix the bug, then this criterion has been met.  The bug report
> should be closed.

Well, I would think the uploader takes responsibility for the bugs they fix
when NMUign. One doesn't just carelessly upload fixes not giving a damn
whether they'll work or not.

I would tend to explain the fact the bug remains open as a courtesy measure
to the maintainer -- the NMUer leaves it to the maintainer to finally inform
the bug submitter of the good news. And also, they're left unclosed as a
reminder to the maintainer that they've still got work to do, to verify the
NMU etc.

BTW about the issue at hand, there's always been and will be a delay between
the time the fix is processed by dinstall and the time it's available on the
nearest mirror. As long as dinstall's bug closing messages are clear on
this, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.