Re: The new installer

> Domenico Andreoli <cavok@filibusta.crema.unimi.it> writes:
>
> > a user might see a closed bug report but could not be unable to
> > download the fixing package with the usual methods (dselect, apt,
> > etc..).

Who cares?  Closing a bug report does not mean that the fix is
immediately available to all the world; it means that someone (usually
the maintainer) has taken responsibility for the bug.  (This is the same
reason, I assume, that bugs fixed by a NMU are tagged as "fixed" instead
of having their reports closed.  Again, availability of a fixed package
is not the issue.)  When the maintainer uploads a new package that
claims to fix the bug, then this criterion has been met.  The bug report
should be closed.

james@nocrew.org (James Troup) wrote:

> ... The trade off (as explained in the original mail) is less
> all-at-once load on the BTS, faster feedback on changes in bug status
> (useful for, e.g. tracking bugs during bug squash parties, etc.) and
> incoming.debian.org being more useful for packages that are urgently
> needed.

Indeed.  Personally, I would rank "faster feedback on changes in bug
status" as the most important trade off and a significant advantage
of the new system.  Why should others be working to fix a bug that
has already been fixed in an uploaded package that has not yet been
processed?  They should not, and the problem should be marked as
resolved by closing the report.

- Brian