Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

Quoting David Schleef (ds@schleef.org):

> >  Michael> There are two things:
> >
> >  Michael> 1. Packages should not only build on the maintainers machine
> >  Michael>    but they should be able to compile in a "standard" environment
> >  Michael>    to begin with.
> >
> > 	The counter to this is packages that build on ``standard''
> >  buildd machines and fail to build on normal joe sixpack machines,
> >  since buildd machines have been modofied (like the kernel-headers
> >  issues right now worked around in buildd).
>
> I gave up trying to use kernel-headers with uclibc.  There are too
> many variations, in too many directories, and the autobuilders don't
> have any particular package consistently installed.  Switching to a
> dependency on kernel-source-2.4.16 and untarring the files I need
> worked the first time on all architectures.

Yes, in a make world environment you wouldn't need to build against
a kernel-header package, since everything is build with and against
one set of kernel sources.

Cheers
   Mike

--
People often think of research as a form of development -- that it's
about doing exactly what you planned, doing it on time, and doing it