Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:13:24PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 10:50:40PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Unicode support at all levels.

> > I would very much like to see good Unicode support in woody+1, but I
> > don't see how this would be possible with a 4-month release cycle.

> OTOH, there are many people who *don't* care about unicode support--why
> should they have to wait for a new release? Everyone's got a pet
> project, and they can't (shouldn't) all hold up every release...

Just because you happen to live in a country where an ASCII locale is
acceptable doesn't make Unicode support a 'pet project'.  Muddled locale
support is an issue for the /majority/ of the world's Linux users, who
don't do all of their computing in English.

It's not because I think Unicode is a good thing (although I do) that
this concerns me.  Rather, it's because I believe having two flavors of
all the major console libraries (readline, ncurses, slang...) included
in the release will be a source of maintenance overhead.  Just look at
how many RC base bugs this time around were caused by trying to get
Unicode and non-Unicode to coexist sanely.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer