Re: Potato to Woody dist-upgrade problems

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:43:22AM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> Best I can tell, the errors in the log were issued by wdm. They were
> unhelpful errors about not being able to open for read files like
> /root/GNUstep/Defaults/WMGLOBAL.
>
> My path of discovery was to try to use startx and see if there was a
> configuration problem, but startx is provided by xbase-clients, and was
> not found on my just-upgraded system. Installing xbase-clients fixed the
> problem...

If removing xbase-clients causes the problem to happen again, it should be
easy to track down which package needs the dependency.

> > > My current question is: How much of this is going to be fixed in the final
> > > release, and how much should I discuss in my book?
> >
> > All of this should be fixed.  Filing bugs is a good step down that path.
>
> Not according to the X maintainer ;-)
>
> He says I just need to correct my ignorance...

I think that he was objecting to your proposed solutions, but the issues
should still be corrected so that the upgrade happens smoothly.

--
 - mdz