Re: Potato to Woody dist-upgrade problems

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 07:11:09PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > Principle tools needed by either wdm, or wmaker, (I haven't figured out
> > which) are provided by xbase-clients, which is not installed during the
> > dist-upgrade...
> Please find out which and what and file a bug.  wdm was changed to depend on
> xutils instead of xbase-clients, which implies that it only used things
> which moved to that package.  If this is not the case, it is a simple matter
> of a missing dependency.

Best I can tell, the errors in the log were issued by wdm. They were
unhelpful errors about not being able to open for read files like

My path of discovery was to try to use startx and see if there was a
configuration problem, but startx is provided by xbase-clients, and was
not found on my just-upgraded system. Installing xbase-clients fixed the

> > My current question is: How much of this is going to be fixed in the final
> > release, and how much should I discuss in my book?
> All of this should be fixed.  Filing bugs is a good step down that path.

Not according to the X maintainer ;-)

He says I just need to correct my ignorance...

_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-
_- aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (850) 656-9769     _-
_-       Flexible Software              11000 McCrackin Road          _-
_-       e-mail:  dwarf@polaris.net     Tallahassee, FL  32308        _-
_-_-_-_-_-  Released under the GNU Free Documentation License   _-_-_-_-
              available at: http://www.polaris.net/~dwarf/