Re: Potato to Woody dist-upgrade problems

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 07:11:09PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > Principle tools needed by either wdm, or wmaker, (I haven't figured out
> > which) are provided by xbase-clients, which is not installed during the
> > dist-upgrade...
>
> Please find out which and what and file a bug.  wdm was changed to depend on
> xutils instead of xbase-clients, which implies that it only used things
> which moved to that package.  If this is not the case, it is a simple matter
> of a missing dependency.

Best I can tell, the errors in the log were issued by wdm. They were
unhelpful errors about not being able to open for read files like
/root/GNUstep/Defaults/WMGLOBAL.

My path of discovery was to try to use startx and see if there was a
configuration problem, but startx is provided by xbase-clients, and was
not found on my just-upgraded system. Installing xbase-clients fixed the
problem...

> > My current question is: How much of this is going to be fixed in the final
> > release, and how much should I discuss in my book?
>
> All of this should be fixed.  Filing bugs is a good step down that path.

Not according to the X maintainer ;-)

He says I just need to correct my ignorance...

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-