Re: Potato to Woody dist-upgrade problems

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 07:11:09PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I've resolved all the major problems I've had upgrading my laptop from
> Potato to Woody. Here is a short report:
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> does a pretty good job, but there are several packages that disapear even
> though they have valid and useful replacement candidates.

I find it somewhat amusing that the removal of man knocks us down to
only "pretty good".  Debian may have the best upgrades around, but I
think we need to set our sights a little higher.  Remember, users
are doing potato-woody upgrades every day, and doubtless struggling
with such issues.

Anyway, acknowledging that dist-upgrade can't yet DTRT in all cases,
is there still no tool (ideally, interactive) to tweak its
decisions?  I find an interactive package selector indispensible,
but since no tool I know of is integrated with dist-upgrade, I find
myself doing a trial run of dist-upgrade in one window, and manually
applying its decisions (along with my own corrections and overrides)
in another window running dselect.  The reason for prefering
dist-upgrade over dselect's logic is 1) dist-upgrade seems to make
smarter decisions overall, and 2) dist-upgrade gives me a concise
summary of its decisions.

I would be extremely grateful for a better way.  Even if it were
just apt-get command-line options to specify overrides.

Andrew