Re: libpng transition

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 10:32:22AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jan 2002, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 09:27:00PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > Another way is to bump the soname on libL at the time you bump the one
> > > on libM.  People are usually against this, since in fact the libL
> > > interface hasn't changed at all.  I'm not sure whether that would
> > > actually solve all the problems.
> > But libL *has* changed: maybe the source API hasn't, but the binary API
> > *has*, and that what the so-name's for. Note that the shlibs need to be
> > changed too, which means changing the package name, too.
> Well, the binary API has changed, true, but only because of the way dynamic
> linking is being used.

It doesn't really matter why, it just matters that the binary API
changed incompatibly. That means the shlibs need changing, as does the
package name.

> Since this is a change that is completely out of the
> control of the upstream maintainer, they will not like the idea of bumping
> the SONAME at all...

Well, the easy solution would be to avoid the problem and not release
with libpng3 in common use. There's a bit of a problem there due to
Build-Dependencies on libpng-dev, but that's not insolvable.

> So I'd mark that possibility as 'will not work' and skip to the next one.

(Yay for politics forcing bad technical solutions)

Cheers,
aj

The daffodils are coming. Are you?
      linux.conf.au, February 2002, Brisbane, Australia
                                --- http://linux.conf.au/