Re: Some thoughts about problems within Debian

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 01:59:21PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > Split it up in 'core' (must fit easily on one CD) and 'added value'
> > (the other 21 CDs). Release seperately. Release often. 'core' must
> I agree completely. With our current testing setup this shouldn't be too
> difficult to do.

It's already pretty split-up: we have base, we have standard, and we
have task packages. If people want to do QA work to focus on cleaning
those packages up, they certainly can.

But it's not possible to just maintain those packages and completely
ignore everything else: updates to packages in base (libstdc++, eg) can
easily make packages outside base unusable, and screw things up there.
You can solve this by *completely ignoring* the extra set of packages
(ie not distributing them at all), but you can't divide them up and get
rid of the complexity, particularly.

And very few people do any QA work atm, so it's not really possible to
just take that and focus it on the "important" packages, 'cause there's
just nothing to focus.

> Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!

For example, postgresql has a bunch of serious and grave bugs that've
been open for over a month, that, afaict, no one's doing anything about,
and is one of the things stopping the freeze from going anywhere.

Cheers,
aj

The daffodils are coming. Are you?
      linux.conf.au, February 2002, Brisbane, Australia
                                --- http://linux.conf.au/