Re: libpng transition

On Fri, 04 Jan 2002, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 09:27:00PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Another way is to bump the soname on libL at the time you bump the one
> > on libM.  People are usually against this, since in fact the libL
> > interface hasn't changed at all.  I'm not sure whether that would
> > actually solve all the problems.
>
> But libL *has* changed: maybe the source API hasn't, but the binary API
> *has*, and that what the so-name's for. Note that the shlibs need to be
> changed too, which means changing the package name, too.

Well, the binary API has changed, true, but only because of the way dynamic
linking is being used. Since this is a change that is completely out of the
control of the upstream maintainer, they will not like the idea of bumping
the SONAME at all...

So I'd mark that possibility as 'will not work' and skip to the next one.

> Having packages randomly not work with new versions of a library, and
> having this not reflecting in the Depends: is broken. See apt's Provides:
> line and shlibs file, eg, for L=libapt-pkg, and M=libstdc++.

I see. But I really am quite scared of the need to do that to every lib that
links to another lib...  (still, if it IS the best solution, we will have
not much choice, but to do it).

  Henrique Holschuh