Re: libpng transition

"Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:

> If we go this route, how do we gracefully handle a bump in
> SONAME for libM?

We have no way.  We have an ungraceful way, however: create a flag
day, when all the relevant applications need to be recompiled.

Another way is to bump the soname on libL at the time you bump the one
on libM.  People are usually against this, since in fact the libL
interface hasn't changed at all.  I'm not sure whether that would
actually solve all the problems.

> > or you must use versioned symbols.
>
> What does this mean?  Would it apply to libL or to libM?
> How would one implement this?

Using version symbols avoids the problem by making it not necessary to
bump the libM soname in the first place.