Re: An alarming trend (no it's not flaimbait.) (fwd)

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 03:02:48PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Seems to me that we came up with a solution for this problem a while
> ago: the Debian QA team.  Right now it has eight people, and an
> overwhelming workload.

You both exaggerate and understate things here.
http://www.debian.org/intro/organization lists eight people, but they
were actually the QA committee (which IIRC decided to disband itself a
couple of months ago because it was redundant). The QA group itself has
several more people involved.

On the other hand, as usual, not everybody's active at any one time. At
the moment it looks like most of the recent work on orphaned packages
has been done by Matej Vela and to a lesser extent me, but this varies
from month to month. Other people have been working on other issues. And
you're right that the workload is to all intents and purposes infinite.

> I think a QA team is the right thing here; presumably it can have the
> discussions about whether particular packages are so stale they should
> be removed.

Indeed, we sometimes do. Martin Michlmayr is often involved with this,
as it links up well with looking for missing-in-action developers, and
Bas Zoetekouw has done some work recently which may lead into this.

Usually we only get involved in discussions like this for orphaned
packages, at least so far.

> But I suspect that eight people is nowhere near enough people.  Maybe
> I could join...

Please do! Adrian Bunk posted a proposal a month or so ago for QA
organization in the future, containing a good summary of the kinds of
things people can work on.