Re: An alarming trend (no it's not flaimbait.) (fwd)

	Heh, I was not aware that a non-developer could subscribe to d-d.

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 08:41:54AM +0000, David Graham wrote:
<SNIP>

> Nice bait.... I'll bite, but if you want to read it you'll have to
> subscribe... It's not fair to throw the rock and hide the hand
>
> 1) learn how to properly format a mail message (i.e. fold at 75th
>    column)

	Oops. Darnit, how to do this automaticly with vi?

> 2) learn how to package a deb and adopt whichever package you think
>    you're better at maintaining than the original maintainer

	Read up on packaging, attempted applying diffs from debian ,
sucessfully I might add. But as for creating new packages... I haven't had a
lot of time to try it. ;-P Mind you this has been in the last 2 years...

> 3) if the package is dead upstream, fork it and maintain it
>    yourself. Most free software licences allow it.

	Anyone care to donate a time machine to me? I know this sounds routine
and a lot like an escapeism but..... I honestly do not have to time to maintain
my own GPLd software, run a company, advocate Linux smartly, make nice with
the family, maintain a 5,000 sq ft warehouse, maintain my sanity, and have
a life. Adding package maintenance would be just a little more, but i'd like
to regain at least ONE of the seven days of the week for myself before delving
into somethign as complex as properly packaging a program for debian.

	I can say this though, if Debian were to address the issues I have
brought up in a realistic manner, I would be willing to toss my personal time
into the project once I have some available, as well as possibly some idle
company employee time once I can afford it.

	After all, I am trying to make a company run on 100% GPLd software.
TerraBox's goal is to be a testimony to the power and usability of Open
Source software in the business arena. To do less than to toss time back into
the company would be hypocritical at best, and downright dishonestly evil
at worst IMHO.

> Have a nice (redhat|mandrake|windowsXP) day
>
> Pf

	Ack! EVIL! It's still Debian Woody for me. :) I'm not giving up just yet.

<SNIP>
Brian Wolfe  <brianw@terrabox.com> "Down to earth computing!"
TerraBox.com    Fingerprint: 2849 5090 D4E0 2A6C C648  A750 52F8 8504 67DB 205C