Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

In Mon, 24 Dec 2001 01:45:25 -0500 Ben cum veritate scripsit :

> > The "Deb" in Debian does stand for "Deborah", not "Debating Society",
> > right?
>
> And I thought Debian stood for promoting free software creation. Putting
> quake2 in contrib and tacking on that "purchase the non-free datafiles"
> message is just crap.

This reminds me, we have rather a pity situation with regards to doom.

I was intending to fix up some doom / yadex packages.

yadex seems to be pretty much unmaintained (just like other packages by
the same maintainer), and I like legacy doom. (ah, in fact, I've noticed that
it was NMU'd by someone who cares about it).

By the way, yadex requires "commercial data files" by default (unless you rewrite
the source code), which means it is impossible to "bootstrap" unless one has the
commercial game data. (Just like, if gcc required some commercial compiler to
compile, we would probably not want to release it in main, would we?)

Why it is included in main currently is beyond my wonders.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4