Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> So if I create a game with _no_ levels, but the tools to create them,
> then is it none-free? Just because the only ones available are non-free,
> doesn't preclude that it is possible to create your own. The engine has
> much more uses than just to play games (as the README in the source
> says, also for educational purposes).

Yeah, but that's a smokescreen I think.  It seems like an excellent
candidate for contrib.

The argument you give could be applied to *any* package in contrib:
they all have *some* potential educational value, they all *might* be
useful if somebody went and wrote free analags to the nonfree things
they depend on, etc.