Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 09:52:29AM +0100, Anders Arnholm wrote:

> So when I write down Debian on my flash-rom on my embedded system it
> suddenly end being software?

Yup. The difference is in how easy it is to re-purpose the thing. Hardware
is designed and built and then not really modifiable.

Firmware can be updated, but you wouldn't want to do it all the time.

Software is easy to update or replace and you likely do it all the time.

The borders are fuzzy, and have become progressively more so as technologies
such as eeproms, flash memory etc. have developed.

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
Never commit yourself!  Let someone else have you committed.