Re: aptitude problem WAS: Re: NMU and hijacking of gnome-apt

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 06:11:05PM -0800, Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> was heard to say:
>   whoops, I forgot it could have been fixed already. so aptitude runs
> now, but still doesn't seem usable, the list of packages is almost
> empty, the upgrade does not work work

  This is what bug-reporting tools are for.  (referring to the
interface failing to show packages.  The other problem most likely has
to do with dependency handling)

  I certainly wouldn't release a version that was this broken [1], so if
you see something like this you should assume that either (a) you're
doing something wacky, or (b) I don't know about it!  (or (c) it's in
the BTS already, but this isn't)

  You wouldn't happen to have set a limit on your display and then
forgotten it, would you?

> lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
>     x                             Apt
> errors                              x
>     xE: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> #x
>     xE: Unable to correct dependencies, some packages cannot be
> installedax
>     x                               [ Ok
> ]                                x
>
> mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

  This indicates that some packages which you have forced to be held
would be broken by the install, no matter what it does.  I think that's
an error message from libapt, so I can't do much about the wording.

  When you can see all the packages, search for "~b" to find broken
ones.  Right now there's a bug that causes held+broken packages to not
be flagged with red; it's fixed in CVS.

  Daniel

|           Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction.            |
\-Evil Overlord, Inc: planning your future today. http://www.eviloverlord.com-/